Friday, January 31, 2014

What's so bad about different?


"You are weird." When I was younger those three words were like music to my ears. I truly loved being weird and I never saw anything wrong with it. People would call me weird, mean or not I didn't care, and I would grin from ear to ear and thank them. It was the best compliment that I could get when I was younger but it quickly changed once I went into sixth grade. I never knew that being weird and different was bad, it never came to mind because in elementary school it wasn't, but in sixth grade things changed drastically from my life in elementary school. 


In sixth grade people would give me dirty looks in the hallway, and glare at me in class. I couldn't be friends with certain people just because I was being me and that was being weird. And sadly I really did think that I was a despicable human being who should be shunned from society just because I was different and saw things differently. But being different is not bad, liking sci-fi and being in fandoms is not bad or weird, it is unique and it's what makes you you. You shouldn’t be afraid to be different or set yourself apart because people will think that you are bad and strange and shouldn’t be talked to. I talk about this a little bit in my TEDx talk, and how you shouldn’t change so that people will like you. You shouldn’t fear the opinions of people who don’t really matter, or be afraid because that boy you like won’t like you back if you are “weird”, you should embrace yourself and love yourself and be weird and crazy and not give a fuck what anyone says or thinks of you. 
Photo Cred: Quotes for the mind

Being weird in my opinion is the best thing you can be, being different is great and beautiful and amazing. You shouldn’t let others dull your sparkle because they obviously aren’t as confident and amazing as you. So go ahead, don’t care what people think, don’t listen to what negative things they say, and don’t let them bring you down lower than the amazing person you are. Be you, be weird, be happy.

2 comments: